Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You know your French well

I bought It’s Never Been Like That after two non-Torontonian friends, at opposite ends of the globe, recommended Phoenix to me independently of each other. I was even urged to go see them live in early September, but it turned out their date at the Mod Club was a V-Fest exclusive. Boo.

I still can’t pin them down, which is why it’s taken me this long to do a write-up. The first time I heard them, they reminded me of the Monkees. “If I Ever Feel Better”, from a previous album, has a funky ‘70s vibe although the songwriting style is the same. In this new album I hear traces of Britpop, the Ramones, the Strokes. You’d never guess that Phoenix is French. Although maybe they initially made me think of the Monkees because of yéyé influences, however slim.

Most importantly, though, It’s Never Been Like That makes me want to dance like I’m in the prom scene in a John Hughes movie. And although that’s the best insight into Phoenix that I can give, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Phoenix website
Phoenix on MySpace
“Consolation Prizes” on YouTube
“If I Ever Feel Better” on YouTube (T. says, "It is the most happy/dance around your kitchen in your socks/shake it about/feel good/feel bad song.” So there you go.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home