Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hey Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken

I didn't know anything about Camera Obscura until I was dragged to see them at the Horseshoe back in July, and I liked them so much I bought Let's Get Out of This Country within the week. They get compared to Belle & Sebastian a lot, being Scottish and twee. That's like comparing the Tragically Hip and Broken Social Scene because they're both Canadian and they rock.

Camera Obscura's organtastic '60s go-go meets folk actually sounds exactly like The Concretes -- right down to Tracyanne Campbell's voice -- only the songwriting is better. (The Concretes tend to choose a few chords and stick with them.) I don't know why no one's made this comparison before, because it was so obvious when I saw them live.

Camera Obscura website
Camera Obscura on MySpace



Dirty Pretty Things is the new band from the ex-Libertine who is not dating Kate Moss and entering rehab on-and-off.

I think Waterloo to Anywhere is the album that The Bravery wanted to put out instead of their self-titled debut. Not that I didn't like their album; I love their album, and they put on a good show. But all the eyeliner and fauxhawks in the world could never bring them to this level of attitude.

Dirty Pretty Things website
Dirty Pretty Things on MySpace



Gogol Bordello is insane. That's what I've been telling everyone I push this album on: "These guys are insane." And it's not just because of the liberal fiddle and accordion usage. Every track on Gypsy Punks: Underworld Dog Strike makes me want to drink vodka and whirl around the room like a dervish. Sadly, by the time I realized they were playing at the Drake earlier this year, the show was sold out. It would've been quite the spectacle.

If you’ve ever seen the film Everything is Illuminated, frontman Eugene Hutz plays the Ukrainian translator (sans handlebar mustache). I recommend that too.

Gogol Bordello website
Gogol Bordello on MySpace
"Start Wearing Purple" on YouTube

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home