Saturday, September 23, 2006

Some motherf*ckers think they're born to dance

I've been pushing the Grates on everyone in the office. (Well, everyone being the three people I talk to about music.) "They're like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs," I say. "But happy."

That pretty much sums it up: a singer, a guitarist, and a drummer, and perky pop-punk that somehow (and thankfully) retains a little musical rawness despite its sense of fun. Gravity Won't Get You High is their first full-length CD, following up last year's EP The Ouch. The Touch. And yes, they look like they're 18, except for the drummer, who looks like she's 15.

But the real reason why you should like the Grates is that they're awesome live. I first saw them about a year ago when they opened for the Go!Team. After the initial moment of disbelief when singer Patience Hodgson started bouncing happily about the stage, the friend I was with turned to me and said, "She's a prancing pony!" From that moment on we were both won over. I was also charmed by the fact that she kept holding her skirt down; most frontwomen these days favour little skirts and don't care if the audience sees their knickers (I'm talking to you, Emily Haines). Miss Hodgson has since taken to wearing tights or leggings. Good girl.

The Grates website
The Grates on MySpace
"Science is Golden" on YouTube

If the Grates don't make you happy, then I feel sorry for you.



The first time I heard Aberdeen City (courtesy of Fabulist!), I thought, "Not another catchy '80s-style Killers-like rock band." But after listening to some of the tracks off of The Freezing Atlantic, I was compelled enough to buy it.

I've never warmed to the Killers; I'd be sold if they were only a bit more introspective, or more tongue-in-cheek. I think Aberdeen City fills my need for the former.

Sadly I just missed them; they were at Lee's Palace a week ago, touring with Electric Six. A co-worker had even told me about the show because a friend wanted to drag him to see Electric Six. (He never made it, though.) The members of Electric Six, btw, do not form a giant robot and fight crime, as their name suggests to my imagination. Which is too bad, because I'd pay to see that instead of the pompous prog rock they seem to play.

Aberdeen City website
Aberdeen City on MySpace

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home