Monday, October 09, 2006

La-di-da, oh la-di-da

I love the fall. It means scarves, corduroy jackets, apple-picking, pumpkin pie -- and that I can sing Stacey Kent’s version of “’Tis Autumn” around the house.

There is absolutely no reason why I should like Stacey Kent so much. Her interpretations are pretty straight; no vocal gymnastics or flights of fancy. She's simply a chanteuse. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but they’re a dime a dozen.)

But she made me like standards that I never liked before e.g. “Too Darn Hot”, “Makin’ Whoopee”, and “The Trolley Song”. I mean, “The Trolley Song”! “Zing-zing-zing went my heartstrings” -- yeah, you know the one. She just has this charming, effortless, lilting delivery, and on The Boy Next Door she applies it to everything from Porter to Paul Simon and it’s all lovely.

Stacey Kent website
Stacey Kent - “’Tis Autumn”

Sorry! The mp3 is no longer available for download.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home