Saturday, October 28, 2006

Mandy Patinkin in Concert @ Massey Hall

A friend bought tickets to see Mandy Patinkin because he only knew him as a film and TV actor and was curious as to what kind of concert he’d put on. When he couldn’t find anyone to go with him, I accepted the 11th hour invitation, even though I feared that I would have to stab myself with my housekeys if Mr. Patinkin broke out into Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Patinkin was fun and charming, and I respect him a lot as a performer -- but it was not my scene at all. It seemed to be for serious Broadway junkies only; there was much applause from an appreciative audience whenever they recognized a song. I’m grateful, though, that there was no Andrew Lloyd Webber. Lots of Sondheim, one song from Les Miz (“Bring Him Home”), but otherwise, not much else that I knew save for “Send in the Clowns”. Yeah. “Send in the Clowns”. Isn’t it rich.

I would’ve enjoyed it more if there’d been more fun parts (e.g. at the beginning, when he had us doing the Hokey Pokey, a challenge in Massey Hall’s cramped rows) and less heartstring-tugging schmaltz (see “Send in the Clowns”). I was pleased, however, when he did a little Irving Berlin medley at the end. But the real showstopper, both figuratively and literally, was his closing words:

“My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

And that made the concert almost worthwhile. Almost.

The Official Site of Mandy Patinkin in Concert

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I have had the pleasure of seeing Mandy in Concert and loved it. :)

http://criminalmindsfanatic.blogspot.com

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home