Thursday, November 09, 2006

It's the nature of the experiment

Without knowing anything about them, I bought tickets to Tokyo Police Club's Dec. 2 show at the Horseshoe because a friend needed to entertain an out-of-town visitor that night. (Bespectacled Montreal electropop duo Hexes & Ohs will be opening. Yay!) What I heard on TPC's MySpace page, however, was enough to make me buy their EP.

For a new, young band out of Suburbville, Ontario (a.k.a. Newmarket), they've already sound like they've been at it for years. And yeah, maybe their NY/Britpop-punk sound isn't so original now that the Strokes have been on the scene for a while, but I'm still impressed by their maturity. And unlike the Strokes, every song on A Lesson in Crime doesn't make me want to dance like I'm singing backup in a '50s girl group.

Tokyo Police Club website
Tokyo Police Club on MySpace

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home