Friday, February 23, 2007

You are the angel that I couldn't kill

I like to be surprised. I like liberal vocal harmonies. I like Mother Mother. I even liked them when they didn't have the extra Mother and band members. But I like Touch Up much better than their self-titled, self-released debut -- even though most of the tracks are the same -- because their new label Last Gang (home to Metric and The Dears) cleaned it up and cut out all the goofy self-indulgent bits that distracted from the strong genre-spanning Tin Pan Alley-like songwriting, interesting harmonies, and distinctive singing.

They play March 9 at the Horseshoe with a bunch of other fine young bands as part of Canadian Music Week. Sadly, I'm probably going to miss it due to another commitment. But I'm sure they'll be back.

Mother Mother website
Mother Mother on MySpace ("Polynesia" is my favourite track)

---
I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell of scoring Arcade Fire tickets today. But I'll still try.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home